Entrepreneurship in an attitude
During the JA Company Program, the students establish an actual company using real money. The program provides an opportunity to strengthen skills related to the working life and financial management, as well as develop the ability to interact with other people and gain an entrepreneurial attitude.
The JA Company Program is available to all students in comprehensive and upper secondary schools and functions as a part of the operation of the educational establishment.
The JA Company Program is provided by JA Finland and carried out in educational establishment throughout Finland. The program operates as part of the teaching provided by the school, and a teacher at the school is in charge of the program’s practical operation.
Participants to the program, which takes place over a semester, the school year or the calendar year, establish a JA company that operates using real money. During the program, the students go through each step in a company’s life-cycle from establishing the company to ceasing its operation.
The JA Company Program is divided into four main themes:
JA Finland has determined the legality and taxation issues regarding the operation in conjunction with the Finnish Tax Administration.
The Finnish Tax Administration has provided instructions regarding the operation and methods of the JA companies (journal number: A73/200/2016, Finnish). In practice, the profit resulting from the operation of the JA entrepreneurs is liable to taxation. If the turnover of the operation remains under €10,000, the JA entrepreneurs do not constitute taxable persons for VAT purposes.
In taxation, the operations are considered equal to personal income generation.
NY Vuosi yrittäjänä -ohjelman palautekysely keväällä 2017. N: 756
Ohjelma vahvistaa oppijoiden työelämä-, yrittäjyys- ja taloustaitoja.
- Opin ongelmanratkaisutaitoja 68 %
- Opin vastuunottamista ja -kantamista 82 %
- Aikatauluttaminen ja työn suunnittelu 69 %
- Vuorovaikutustaitoni vahvistuivat 72 %
- Ryhmätyötaitoni vahvistuivat 71 %
- Itseluottamukseni vahvistui 67 %
- Oma-aloitteisuuteni kasvoi 72 %
- Tunnistan omat taitoni paremmin 63 %
- Ymmärsin yrittäjämäisen asenteen tärkeys 77 %
- Vahvisti itseni työllistämisen taitoja 53 %
- Antoi realistisen kokemuksen yrittäjyydestä 58 %
- Oivalsin, millä alalla haluan työskennellä 33 %
- Aion perustaa yrityksen ohjelman jälkeen 10 %
- Oivalsin, etten halua yrittäjäksi 30 %
- Sai minut harkitsemaan oman yrityksen perustamista 43 %
- Opin rahan käytön suunnittelu 53 %
- Ymmärsin oman työni arvon 59 %
- Ymmärsin yrittäjien merkityksen työnantajana ja taloudellisina toimijoina 58 %
Junior Achievement Finland (Nuori Yrittäjyys ry) is a part of the international Junior Achievement (JA) network, which operates in more than 110 countries around the world.
Practical matters related to the company program
- The school decides to join the program
- The teacher(s) in charge examine the program and take part in the free program training
- The teacher in charge registers using the nyvuosiyrittajana.fi portal
- The teacher may order a guide book for the program if they wish.
- The JA companies register for the program using the nyvuosiyrittajana.fi website.
JA Finland offers free training to the teachers, enables networking, and provides support with challenges related to the operation of the program.
The teacher in charge acts as a sparring partner for the participants and helps the JA entrepreneurs to reach the next step when necessary. It is important to encourage the students to network and to promote their JA entrepreneurship widely, also within the versatile networks provided by the labor market.
The program includes a student-specific registration fee which is €22 per student in the comprehensive school and €30 in the upper secondary schools. After registration, students can use the materials and tools provided by the program in the operation of their JA company. JA Finland has taken out a liability insurance for all JA companies. The insurance fee is included in the registration fee.